Helping You Stay Healthy
We are quickly approaching the one year mark of COVID. There have been many ups and downs throughout the year, but one thing remains consistent – our desire to help you stay healthy. Whether you’re looking to adjust your new workout plan, need help recovering from an injury (both new and old), or simply need some maintenance, you need to schedule an appointment at the Clinic.
Equipment Rental Program
Working out at home has never been easier!
The Cambridge Group is excited to announce that patients of the Sport Medicine Clinic now have access to our Equipment Rental Program!
Staying healthy and fit these days is more challenging than ever. We’re here to make it easier by offering you a selection of equipment from our Clubs while we remain closed. Many of our members have taken advantage of this program but we have a few pieces left and as a patron of our health clinic, we are extending this program to you.
Choose from our offerings of a Stages Spin Bike, Dumbbell Kit, or Olympic Strength Kit, and take your home workouts to the next level.
Click here to learn more about this program.
Any questions? Contact Garth.
Breathing is primal. It is the first thing we do when we are born and the last thing we do when we die. It seems like a natural and instinctual thing to do and yet we don’t do it well. As a consequence of different factors such as injuries, stress, emotions, activities, and work throughout our lives, our breathing is affected. One of the most common problems we do when we breathe is over breathe. This occurs when we breathe too fast or inhale too much.
When we over breathe, our respiratory chemistry is affected resulting in a decrease in our carbon dioxide levels. We tend to think of carbon dioxide (CO2) as a bad thing but a certain amount is needed to keep us breathing and maintain a proper balance in our bodies. One side effect from a decreased level of CO2 is a decrease in blood flow. As someone who is recovering from soft tissue injury this can potentially affect the rate of recovery as good blood flow is advantageous in the healing process. Another side effect is that it can increase the excitability of smooth muscle including the fascia and over time, this can make us more “tight”.
To improve your breathing, here are a few tips:
- Try to focus on the exhalation as opposed to the inhalation. When you exhale, think of breathing out from head to toe and then letting the breathe “come to you”.
- Breathe from your diaphragm, not your chest. Place one hand over your stomach and one over your chest. As you inhale the hand over the chest should not rise at all.
- Breathing should be quiet.
- The ideal ratio is 4:6:1 (or 2:3:1 to make it easier). Count for 4 on the inhalation then 6 on the exhalation with a 1 count pause before the next breath.
Dr. Lawrence Micheli
Clinic Manager & Chiropractor
Complimentary Parking at the First Canadian Place
The First Canadian Place is offering a promotion for a limited time where visitors can enjoy 3 hours of complimentary parking when you spend $50 (tax included) at participating stores located inside the FCP.
As the Sport Medicine Clinic continues to treat out of the Adelaide Health Clinic in the FCP, you can enjoy the benefit of getting treatment without the worry of figuring out where to park!
Our patients are eligible for this complimentary service as long as you have a receipt totaling $50. So, you can:
- Come in and get treatment
- Purchase any of our products that help with your recovery
How it works:
- Enter FCP parking garage from York or Adelaide street.
- Bring your receipt(s) from FCP retailers to the security desk (located inside the FCP building, street level) to get the 3-hour parking voucher.
- When you’re ready to leave, insert the parking ticket at the garage gate first, followed by the voucher.
If you parking at First Canadian Place for the first time, we encourage patients to park in lots #2 or #3 as those are closest to the Clinic.
Our hours remain 7:30am - 6:00pm, Monday - Friday.
To book an appointment please click here, call 416-865-0903, or email our reception. We look forward to seeing you soon!