We know that setting resolutions can be tricky, especially with regards to your fitness goals. They don't always stick, and it can feel discouraging to slip up on diets, new routines, and the high expectations we set for ourselves.
But, believe it or not, your New Year's resolutions are manageable. Sometimes, it just takes a better understanding of what it takes to be proactive and conquer your health goals. With that in mind, we here at the Cambridge Group of Clubs have determined the top 10 ways you can be successful with your resolutions.
1. Set goals. Weekly, monthly, and quarterly. Make a plan to accomplish each of those.
2. Get a trainer. Having someone hold you accountable to your goals will encourage you to stay on track.
3. Remember that every little bit counts! Get up and move throughout the day: schedule walking, standing, and stretching breaks.
4. Resolve to eat REAL food. Avoid packaged and processed food at every opportunity.
5. Try something new. A new class or new form of exercise: something that will reignite your fire for fitness.
6. Drink your water. Ensure you’re getting lots of H2O in your system, every single day.
7. Avoid refined and added sugar. Make a conscious effort to not add sugar and avoid food with excessive sugar in it.
8. Sleep. Making quality sleep a priority will allow you to reap all the benefits of the hard work you’re putting in.
9. Take time for yourself. Whether that’s a walk, quiet space, yoga class, do something that allows you to take time to focus on you and your mind and body. Try to disconnect from the non-stop world around you.
10. Always start NOW. Don’t wait till “Monday” or after an event to get started on your goals. Start working toward them this minute!
If you're still not sure where to start, reach out to one of our personal trainers today to learn how you can get moving on your goals.
Article by Jen Raven, Director of Personal Training at The Toronto Athletic Club.