Cozy Cous Cous Dinner
· 2 tablespoons olive oil
· ¼ cup sliced almonds
· ¾ pound boneless, skinless chicken breasts cut into smaller pieces
· ¼ teaspoon salt (optional)
· ¼ teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
· 1 bunch scallions, white and light green parts only, thinly sliced
· 1 zucchini, cut in half lengthwise and thinly sliced
· 2 carrots, cut in half lengthwise and thinly sliced
· 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
· 1 teaspoon ground cumin
· 1 teaspoon ground coriander
· ¼ teaspoon turmeric
· 1 ¼ cups low-sodium chicken stock
· 1 large tomato, chopped
· ½ cup canned chickpeas, drained
· ½ lemon, zest peeled into 1/2-inch- thick strips, juice to taste
· 1/3 cup raisins
· ¾ cup whole-wheat couscous (Quinoa could be used as a alternative )
· ¼ cup chopped parsley
Warm oil over medium-high heat. Add almonds and toast until golden, 2 minutes. Transfer them to a bowl.
Season the chicken with the salt and black pepper, add to pot and cook until browned, 10 minutes. Transfer, chicken to a plate once cooked. Add the scallions, zucchini and carrots; cook 6 minutes. Mix in the cinnamon, cumin, coriander and turmeric; sauté 1 minute.
Add the chicken stock, tomato, chickpeas, lemon zest and raisins; bring to a simmer. Return chicken to pot, cover and simmer 10 minutes.
Season with lemon juice. Cover and keep warm.
Add the couscous to the liquid remaining in pot, cover and turn off heat. Let rest 5 minutes; fluff couscous with a fork. Serve chicken and vegetables over couscous, garnished with almonds and parsley.
Happy Healthy Eating!