Wednesday's Child is Full of WHOA!
"Soup of the Day"...just got Serious!
What I love about kids is their sense of wonder and excitement about the new, the thrill of the unexpected. Hiking the trails with my boys, there’s this constant “Whoa Mommy! Look at THAT!” It’s a caterpillar. When was the last time you were really Wow-ed?
Surprises, whether you like them or not, are cool. Your cognitive resources are essentially highjacked and pulled: Right. Into. The. Moment. When we’re surprised, our emotions intensify up to 400%. So, if it’s good surprise, it feels incredible. If it’s a bad surprise, “incredible” won’t be the right word, but you sure do feel alive. And you are living in the moment. Surprises keep our brains on their toes, and increase our vitality and mental acuity.
Today, Wednesday, I want the child in you to embrace Surprises. Find opportunities to make others go “Whoa!”. Be present throughout your day and look for things that are unexpected… even delightful!
Inspiration of the Day
“Well, we all like things to be predictable, don't we? We expect things to be safe and to keep on happening just the way they always have. We expect the sun to rise in the morning. We expect to get up, survive the day and finish up back in bed at the end of it, ready to start all over again the next day. But maybe that's just a trick we play on ourselves, our way of making life seem ordinary. Because the truth is, life is so extraordinary that for most of the time we can't bring ourselves to look at it. It's too bright and it hurts our eyes. The fact of the matter is that nothing is ever certain. But most people never find that out until the ground suddenly disappears from beneath their feet.” - Steve Voake, The Dreamwalker's Child
Class of the Day
Garth kicks off our virtual classes today with his On-Core class, which will challenge your core and stabilize your trunk in just 30 minutes!
Join him at 5:30pm TONIGHT from the comfort of your living room!
Click here to join the Zoom meeting.
Meeting ID: 964 2673 2243
If you missed it yesterday, here’s this week’s schedule of virtual classes!
Workout of the Day
Patience my wonderful friends… we are working on getting these workouts video-ed and out to you so you can understand all our weird jargon, laugh at our form, and follow along with your own playlist… But, for today, here’s a simple full body workout to get your heart rate up and get the chair dent out of your glutes!
- Butt Kicks: 20 reps
- Hip Extensions: 10 each leg (hang on to the counter for balance)
- Hip Rotations: Clockwise and counterclockwise, 5 each leg
- Forward Leg Swings: 10 each leg
- Side Leg Swings: 10 each leg
- Arm Rotations: Clockwise and counterclockwise, 5 each arm
- Pull Aparts aka standing reverse fly no resistance: 20 reps
- Wall or counter pushups: 10 - 16 (SUBMAX effort. This is just the warm-up!)
- Body Weight Squat: 20 reps
- Pushups: 10 reps (floor, coffee table, counter, wall)
- Jumping Jacks: 20 reps
- Dumbbell Row from Quadruped or Plank (shown below) Position: 20 reps (use soup cans, filled water bottles)
- Side Plank: Hold one side 10 - 15 seconds 5 times. Repeat on the other side
Repeat the circuit 3 times
- Side to Side Squats: 20 reps
- Front Plank: Hold and brace a strongly as you can for 10 - 15 seconds. 5 - 10 reps
- Hip Thrusters: 20
- Alternate Lunge Backs: 20
- Prone Cobra: Hold and brace 10 - 15 seconds. 5 reps (the image is quite advanced. Feel free to keep more of your chest on the floor. You can keep the arms bent by your sides and slightly lift them off the ground for each rep too. Ensure your abs and glutes are firing to protect your low back!)
Repeat circuit 3 times
If you have any questions about this workout, you can connect with Meg here.
Naturopathic Wisdom of the Day
Have you been preparing for your IUI or IVF cycle and are currently super disappointed to you've had your cycle cancelled due to the shutdown of non-essential services?
Now is the best time to put your health first and work with a Naturopathic Doctor to:
- Optimize your nutrient levels that your baby will need
- Discuss which supplements are mandatory and safe for you to take
- Optimize the environment that your baby will grow in
The 3 months prior to you getting pregnant is the most important time to implement the proper health modifications to optimize your ability to get pregnant, stay pregnant, feel well during your pregnancy, and grow a healthy baby.
If you want to take advantage of this extra time to optimize your fertility, contact Dr. Moira Kwok ND here.
Bite of the Day
My husband drove back to the city on Sunday to get my road bike. I am loved.
He also decided to clean out the fridge at home and bring stuff up here. Ugh. I now have 4 jars of open peanut butter. 2 crunchy, 2 smooth. I could make my favourite cookies (Barefoot Contessa Peanut Butter Chocolate Chip!!!) but that feels like a Saturday project. In the fridge I have ginger, broccoli, peppers, and tofu. Feels like all that would go nicely with a little spicy peanut butter? Here’s the dinner plan… cobbled together:
1. Crispy Baked Tofu (I’m not in the mood to marinate etc etc…)
2. Pan roasted vegetables
3. Spicy Peanut Sauce (there’s loads of good recipes out there. I love this one because it’s yummy AND simple/quick)
Do you have a "Something of the Day" you'd like us to share?!? Email Meg.